International Agency for Economic Development
Finances and Budgeting
Interns at IAED- International Agency for Economic Development are not paid. All costs of travel and accommodation, including living expenses, must be covered by the intern or the sponsoring institution. The following information is intended to assist you in estimating the cost of your internship (all figures indicated in US dollars):
Accommodation in New York City:
- Round trip air/train/bus tickets to/from New York: variable;
- Passport/visa application fees: may vary;
- Ground transportation from/to airport/train/bus terminal: $40;
- Travel insurance: $30;
Living expenses (as of March 2005):
- Hotel/motel: $70 - 300 per night
- YMCA/YWCA: $40 - 150 per night
- Dormitory/ residence house: $200 - 400 per week / $25 - 30 per night
- Apartment: $800 - 2,500 per month
- IAED's Housing Service Desk maintains lists of furnished apartments and houses available for short-term as well as for long-term rentals. Interns must show up personally at the Housing Service Desk at the beginning of the internship to be considered. The Internship Office has compiled a housing list with addresses of some locations that might be of interest to interns. Please note that prices are subject to change and thus may vary.
- Subway/bus: $2.00 per trip or $76 for an unlimited 30-day pass, $24 for a 7-day unlimited pass, $7 for a 1-day unlimited pass;
- Taxi: $2.50 inital, $0.30 per 1/4 mile.
- All kinds of food services are available within walking distance. (Fast food: $1 and up; Restaurants: $5 and up per meal).
Other expenses: (additional 10-20% of the budget)
- Medical insurance: $50 (variable);
- Liability insurance: $25 (variable).
Internship Budgeting Form
||Round trip tickets:
||First week in hotel/motel:
||Transportation ($ per day x 70):
Meals ($ per day x 70):
|Other expenses: (add 10-20% of your budget)
||Personal communication expenses:
Luggage for traveling: